Sunday 3 January 2016

Two dreams

All that is left of the first dream is a fragment which once contained a strong image of a flat bed Lego truck, with an array of Lego soldiers arranged in a hollow rectangle on the flat bed. Perhaps five soldiers long and three soldiers wide, that is to say five plus three plus five plus three less four for double counting equals twelve.

But they were not the sort of soldiers you get with Lego, even though they were in plug-in-able lego format, being more like the figures on the frieze of the Parthenon. I was very clear on that point in the dream, to the point of worrying about the lack of Lego authenticity while still in the dream.

I had originally thought to draw the lorry with its soldiers, but it quickly became apparent that while I could probably have managed this, and done quite a reasonable job, it would have taken me far more time than I cared to spend. So the illustration that I do post, which will, at least, remind me in weeks to come of what I was on about, is a composite image taken from Technic Lego and a bas-relief from Seljuk Turkey. With thanks to google. And with a request to the Powerpoint people to add a feature whereby an image can be rotated in something other than the plane of the screen. Or, if such a feature already exists, to put it somewhere where I can find it. That way, I would be able to do a much better job of patching the images of the soldiers onto the truck.

There is rather more left of the second dream, from last night, but I just post the end of it here. There was a system of underground pipes, perhaps some sort of drainage system, arranged in the form of a branching tree - or a root system - or the streams and small rivers making up the tributary system of a big river. I was crawling out, from larger pipes into smaller pipes.

Eventually I come to a dead end, blocked off by some sort of man-hole. A man-hole, oddly, with a port-hole. But there was no way out and I had to retrace my steps. I soon come to another man-hole, this time more like the sort of bulkhead door you get on ships. A door which also comes with a port-hole. I need to reach through the port-hole in order to be able to unlatch the door - thinking here of the sort of latch you get in old cottages and farm houses; of a metal version of the wooden one at reference 1. There is someone on other side and I ask him to take a screwdriver to the wire strap holding the port-hole in place, in order to get it off - thinking here of the sort of circular wire strap which holds the large, circular door washer onto the front of our washing machine. The strap which I can get off, but cannot, so far anyway, manage to put back on again. This someone gets the strap off easily enough, but manages to break the glass of the port-hole while he is at it. I reach through, open the door and step out, to find that there were actually two windows, both now broken, a large one above and a small one below. The large one was a complicated shape, a fancily shaped & trimmed bowl in some sort of delicately coloured glass. A bit like the sort of thing used as a ceiling lamp shade by an aunt of mine in the fifties of the last century, a glass thing hanging off four short chains. I think you can still buy them in the fancier lighting shops. Maybe, for example, Wray, although a quite peek does not reveal quite the thing I had in mind. See reference 2,

A helpful builder person (an actual person) from TB turns up and after peering at the large broken window for a bit, gives me credit for not trying to hide, to get away with the breakage, and announces that I can get a replacement from Travis Perkins, but that it will set me back £2,000. I could raise this sort of money but don't really want to. I wonder whether my employer will take the loss - while keeping me on.

Wake up.

I clearly had not been thinking very clearly, failing to work out that the someone might better have opened the door for me, rather than breaking the window.

Reference 1: http://psmv2.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/deal-end.html.

Reference 2: http://www.christopherwray.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment