Sunday 31 January 2016

Today's bet

Today's bet is that it will turn out that while I might call what you see as blue, blue, I might actually be seeing red. A problem which has been vexing colour vision scientists in public houses for almost as long as there have been colour vision scientists.

A simple way to do this would be to simply rotate the colour wheel by 120 or 240 degrees and let brain plasticity do the rest. This would preserve primary colours, in the sense that each primary colour would be mapped onto another, and both black & white would stay as they are - which I believe to be helpful - and would preserve addition, subtraction and proximity of colours - which I believe to be necessary.

A quick peek at google suggests that, maybe, technology is starting to let some light in on this one. Maybe we really will find out in the next few years - and so my bet is in. Or at least it will be when I have had a chance to chat to our local Paddy Power people.

Illustration possibly lightly adapted from http://www.bluelobsterart.co.uk/. The place I thought it had come from - www.bluelobsterart.com - does not seem to exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment