Sunday 13 September 2015

On the Common 1

Back in May I noticed works on the Common at reference 1 and last week I thought it time I inspected the circular path. All started well and the new surface was firm and dry despite all the recent rain.

First pause was coming across what I thought was a dead grey squirrel on the path, but which turned out to be a horse dropping near covered in a thick grey fungal fur. I subsequently came across several more, not ever having seen such things before, at least not in living memory. The warm damp conditions must have been exactly right for this sort of fungus. Is it a relative of the stuff noticed at reference 2?

Second pause was some of the pink spots, of the sort noticed at reference 3. The healthy young ash trees spotted there have now been chopped down, so I am pleased to be able to report that those spotted on this occasion appeared to be already dead. There may be no particular need to do anything, but better than healthy young trees. Pink spots apart, there were no other signs or harbingers of chain saw action, which was nice. I also avoided the cows, another bug-bear of mine, and it is better for my blood-pressure not to get worked up about them.

Third pause, shortly after leaving the Common, was finding that a large hole chopped in the hedge along Wheeler's Lane to provide access to the line for Network Rail has been nicely repaired. I don't suppose Network Rail will be back to water and I don't suppose that this particular spot, on top of the embankment is particularly damp in the ordinary course, so we will just have to hope for a damp autumn.

Reference 1: http://psmv2.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/works-2.html.

Reference 2: http://psmv2.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/an-old-friend.html.

Reference 3: http://psmv2.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/action-on-horton-clockwise.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment