Sunday 8 March 2015

The Gopnik family

Some years ago I read a rather good book called 'The Philosophical Baby' by one Alison Gopnik. Sadly, the only thing I remember about it now, and that is not very reliable, is the importance of small children being told stories.

Then the other week. I came across a 30p chuck out from Surrey Libraries called 'The Table Comes First' by one Adam Gopnik. I thought perhaps husband, but closer inspection of the acknowledgements to the first suggest that he is probably a brother. Not a common name, not at least in this part of Epsom.

A nicely produced paperback which appeared to be an interesting compilation of bits and bobs about the food scene since the invention of restaurants a little before the French Revolution. An intellectual, well educated and well read foodie, puffed by no less a luminary than Nigella Lawson, although, less promisingly, including at least one polite mention of Damien Hirst. But now, having dipped in a few times, I have decided that I cannot get that worked up about words about food. Cooking the stuff and consuming the stuff is fine, but my capacity to bang on about it in this - in the end - rather silly and precious way - is really quite limited. Better suited to the drinks parties of the chattering classes, parties which never much suited me. Drink the same; I used to like a good beer - say Greene King IPA or Arkell's Bitter - but I was never that interested in beer buffery - not even of Chief Inspector Morse's fairly modest variety.

Not that I am really knocking it. Getting into a twist about baking twerbots is fine. No one gets hurt and it passes the time - but it is not for me. I think my time would better spent on rereading the baby book. This one now on its way to the Oxfam skip at Sainsbury's.

PS: checking the apostrophe in Arkell's Bitter in google, I find that some brewery in Ontario gets to the top of the heap, rather than the one in Swindon. Whatever have those people in the googleplex been knocking back?

No comments:

Post a Comment