Friday 15 November 2013

99% complete

Following my efforts reported on 14th November, the special code Nokia sent me to activate their understanding of my phone number seems to have mysteriously expired. I am not aware of having using it successfully, but Nokia do now seem to know what my phone number is - not that this helps much. When I get into my account with them it just seems to tell me what my credentials are, without giving me access to anything.

And then I thought, maybe the right way to try to connect my phone to my pre-existing Microsoft account is to try to do it from the phone, rather than from the PC with the phone plugged into it, which I had hoped would enable the phone to see the internet - and the internet to see it. Home being equipped with an antique BT Voyager 210 router (a technology which is at least five years old) which does cables rather than the all important wifi.

So off to Epsom library where they have a wifi hotspot, a wheeze which seems to be eating away at the provision of public internet capable computers, and try there. After two or three attempts I succeed in telling Microsoft about my shiny new Lumia phone (which is now, after all, one of their brands). I also succeed, for the first time, in using the phone to talk to the internet, slowly coming to realise along the way that phone access means that fancy new programs are needed to display things on a screen 3 inches by 2 which were designed for a screen 24 inches by 16. It might take a while before they are much good. In the meantime, can I plug my phone into my computer and get the computer screen to repeat in big what can be seen in small on the phone? Clearly a question for the experts' panel at the Tooting Wetherspoon's.

That aside, at this point I think that I am home and dry. So I get home an hour or so later, plug the phone in and try to download the free app to read acrobat files. I get invited to log into my Microsoft account, which I then try to do, several times. Sometimes it waits a while before telling me there is a problem. Sometimes it just tells me that this user name password combination are wrong - which I am fairly sure they are not. And just to check I make sure I can get to my Microsoft account otherwise.

Next thought is that maybe the new link to my phone is taking a while to rattle through what must be the many layers of Microsoft systems and that maybe I should try again some time later.

Some time later I do indeed seem to get a bit further into downloading the app (using the PC with the phone plugged into it), this time ticking a terms and conditions box along the way. I even get as far as the thing trying to download, only to be told that they can't reach my phone just now. Perhaps sir would like to open the email they have just sent to me from the phone. Which I don't seem to be able to do just presently, so off to the library again tomorrow to see what I can do there.

In the meantime I have been prompted to put some documents on something called my Skydrive. Where does that leave Dropbox?

Getting warm I think.

Surface to an important tweet from Prime Minister, dispatched in haste from his seat on the top of an elephant in a theme park in Bangalore. It seems that he thinks that some of things being done by his coalition were not in the national interest. Which I did not think worth the tweet: the whole point of a coalition is that because the electorate were not very sure where their national interest was, he had to agree with Mr. Clegg to fudge their differences of opinion about same, otherwise the party of Blair & Brown might have had another five years to impose their faded vision on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment