Wednesday 23 December 2015

Value for money

I am presently looking at yesterday's 'Daily Star' of 48 pages for 20p and today's 'Guardian' at 46 pages for 180p. Allowing for the difference in page size - the Guardian's pages are about one third bigger than those of the Daily Start, the Guardian is charging around 9 times as much per page.

I have not done the count, but a quick flip suggests advertisement density is about the same in the two offerings.

The Guardian continues to run the tasteful legs of the new face of Chanel (one wonders how much the model was paid for this picture, which seems to be everywhere at the moment), while the rather more extensive Daily Star legs are included with the copy, rather than with the advertisements.

The Guardian goes on to further damage its feminist credentials with a small but handsome picture of a mountain goat sitting on a rock overlooking his harem, somewhere in Snowdonia. While the Daily Sport goes on to tell me about a new app which I can buy for my new telephone called 'Kimoji'. I think that the idea may be to include Kim Kardashian flavoured glyphs in the text messages that I send. An idea which I pass on, but with the up-side that the KK name has now been firmly lodged in the brain and I will maybe stop asking BH who she is every other week or so.

I also read of the outrage of the fans of someone called Tyson Fury over some local difficulty with telephone lines. See reference 2 for some twitter speak.

Of a monster Christmas storm called Christmas Eve. But when I told BH about this, she claimed that, on the basis of reading some more reputable weather forecast, that the Daily Sport was rather overdoing it. It might just about reach the Western Isles, but it is not going to trouble the Surrey Hills.

Of Gazza, who it seems can still afford to overdo it at a place called Champneys. Judging by the splendid grounds (illustrated above), overdoing it must cost a great deal. See also reference 1.

At this point, having made it to page 15, I give up, Daily Star now in the recycling bin and I don't think I will be lashing out on another one.

PS: for the avoidance of doubt, I should make it clear that I did not lash out on 20p for the first one, which I lifted from a branch of Wetherspoon's.

Reference 1: http://www.champneys.com/spa-resorts/champneys-forest-mere.

Reference 2: https://twitter.com/tyson_fury.

No comments:

Post a Comment