Tuesday 15 December 2015

Ely 3

Tiramisu chez Prezzo. Amongst other things, another demonstration of the fact that chefs abhor a vacuum: having asked for the tiramisu to come with neither cream nor ice-cream, this chef felt obliged to fill the resultant gap in the composition of my dessert with a liberal sprinkling of chocolate powder. Others scratch the same urge with a design effected in some sticky brown stuff squirted out of a tube.

A sprinkling which, while adding an unwanted powdery effect to the bouche of the thing, did nothing to cure its dampness.

I might say that while a lot of these factory tiramisus are perfectly adequate, better than this one, my best tiramisu remains my first: made in small, individual stainless steel sundae dishes by the senior lady of the house and served up in an unpretentious Italian café in Great Russell Street, in London. Amongst other things, not made in a slab and cut up into portions afterwards.

PS: I should remind readers, that while I moan today about the dessert, the meal as a whole was fine. I would certainly revisit Prezzo should occasion arise.

Reference 1: http://www.psmv2.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/eline-epicures.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment