Tuesday 8 December 2015

Husbands beware!

Being concessionary members, we have taken to using National Trust properties as alternatives to motorway service stations. They are not usually actually on the motorway and they don't sell petrol, but they do offer other facilities of interest. On this occasion the property was Wimpole Hall, not far from Royston.

We arrived there around the middle of Sunday past and were surprised at the huge numbers of cars arriving, having thought to have the place more or less to ourselves. Still unsuspecting, we pushed onto the stable block, a rather grander version of the otherwise similar stable block at Polesden Lacey.

To find a Christmas fayre at full throttle, complete with the Royston Town Band and a rather grander second hand bookshop than that at Polesden. Had I been in the mood, I dare say I could have found something of interest. As it was, I did find a lady demonstrating a spinning wheel, something I have been wanting to see for a little while.

She was only making a rather coarse yarn, but I was surprised at the speed with which the small hanks of wool she worked with were spun onto the bobbin. She told me about varying the ratio between the speed of the bobbin and that of the flyer, with her wheel having, as it were, a three speed gear, but I think I need to have to go to really get the hang of it. She also told me that it was a lot harder than it looked, with her having been at it for a long time. Maybe next time I will try and persuade her to let me have a go.

We decided to picnic in the car park.

PS: perhaps fayres of this sort are becoming the norm with the trusties. Becoming a traditional activity which our grand children will look back on with nostalgia in fifty years' time. See reference 1.

Reference 1: http://psmv2.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/grotto-lacey.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment