Sunday 28 June 2015

Kreutzer

To St. Luke's on Thursday for violin sonatas again: Mozart No.21 and Beethoven No. 9, this last being the Kreutzer, heard no less than three times last year, with at least two of the performances being hot stuff.

Annoyed once again by the large Hiscox advertisement at Epsom station, the one featuring a very large hamburger. Prompting the rather sour thought that a hamburger was supposed to be a handy snack, more like a bacon roll, not a full meal in inconveniently cylindrical formation and requiring a skewer to hold it all together. Maybe sour, but I do think that hamburgers have got a bit above themselves, lost their roots.

See reference 2 for a slightly different take. Still no image from google, but the one I offer instead is similarly offensive, although I have never seen it myself, at Epsom or anywhere else. I can only suppose that offensive is the point.

Bullingdon'd from Waterloo 1 to Roscoe Street. There seemed to be as many broken bikes on the ramp as there were working bikes, but I got one OK. Down the ramp and onto the roundabout where, for once, I was cut up by a van who wanted the bridge while I wanted Stamford Street. But I survived, for a cyclist to balance the books at a subsequent junction by ignoring a red light. Got crusty bread with my bacon this week so that was alright.

For some reason arrived at St. Luke's to get that sense of heightened awareness while waiting for the off; not sure what could have brought it on, not having got my pills wrong again. A sense which lasted well into the Mozart, which went down very well.

But something went wrong with the Beethoven, which did not go down as well as usual at all. The first movement in particular seemed very loud & noisy, with the violin sounding a bit of a blur in the fast bits. All clarity lost. Altogether far too much like the rather unpleasant Tolstoy short story said to be inspired by this very movement. I say unpleasant, and I did find it unpleasant when I last read it a few years ago, but I gathered afterwards that the short story was the talk of the town when it was first published around 1890. A time, I suppose, when women's liberation was really getting under way and about the same time that our own Hardy was fulminating about our own lack of sensible provision & practice for divorce.

Perhaps I was having an off day and the sonata will be better next time. I have had such off days with Schubert's Octet.

Performed by Benedetti & Grynyuk. The former in a rather flashy but not particularly successful skirt with a loud orange pattern and half a dozen or more big black pleats. The pair of them last heard at the same place about fifteen months ago at reference 1.

Marked the occasion with a new world rather than an old world drop of white, more specifically with some Villa Maria sov. blanc from Wetherspoons. I liked it rather better than the chardonnay I have usually been taking from Wetherspoons, to the point where I may even order a box from Waitrose, buying by the box not being my usual thing at all. We shall see.

Reference 1: http://psmv2.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/on-cheap.html.

Reference 2: http://psmv2.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/tooting-trivia.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment