Saturday 11 October 2014

Muddle

My archives are starting to get into a bit of a muddle over here, which is a bit poor for a former document manager.

Some documents are on the PC back home, some of them on something called SkyDrive. Rather more of them in Dropbox. Then some are on the PC over here, with some of them on something called OneDrive.

Then there is OneNote which I mainly use on my telephone but which also exists elsewhere. Added to which I have learned how to move ordinary files to and from the telephone.

Some files I move from place to place, by hand, while other files seem to get moved about by mysterious synchronisation processes, some of which confused me with the folder names on the telephone not always being the folder names on the PC. And when one has cracked the file problem there is the even harder problem of what bit of information is one which file?

At least Microsoft seems to be clever enough, sometimes at least, to know the difference between offline and online copies of things.

So all in all, rather a muddle. It is just as well I am not carrying copies of anything which is important.

But the good news is that, following a tip from home, the small number of maps I have managed to get onto the telephone have actually been quite useful. Although I like paper maps, there have been times when it was a lot easier to crank up the telephone than rummage around in our bags in the rain to find the paper. I illustrate the handy map of central Ottawa provided in PDF form by the Ottawa tourist people.

PS: I might have been a document manager once and I remember seeing the OpenText sign on a central Ottawa building when I was last here - but I have not got a clue now which bit of the market they were in; certainly not mine as we were deep into a quite different product. Maybe I will take a peek at http://www.opentext.com/ for old times sake, to find out how much things have moved on in the ten years since I was there. How many other players of my day are still up and running under their own flags - with the Filenet I knew having been gobbled up by IBM? Do OpenText do a home/student version which I could put to work on my muddle?

No comments:

Post a Comment