Friday 17 October 2014

Bath house

On the way to the Rideau health centre, I passed this bath house on King Edward Avenue, looking a bit more dowdy in the autumn rain than it looks in this picture.

According to Wikipedia, from where I took the picture, this municipal bath house was originally built in the 1920's for the greater hygiene of the inhabitants of Lower Town, many of whom did not have baths of their own. Maybe the two bays on the ground floor were once separate entrances for men and women, with the central stairs reserved for management.

Now, by the sound of things, some kind of health club. At least it still does baths, unlike the one in Victoria where my socks were once bag washed and which is now a Spanish flavoured restaurant. Or the one in Kings Cross where I once had a bath and which I cannot now trace. Probably not the Turkish bath once at 9 Caledonian Road.

No comments:

Post a Comment