Wednesday 22 October 2014

Boasting

The other day I was boasting about how handy it was that I had learned to put maps onto to my telephone. See reference 1.

Then yesterday, I found a good tourist map of central Montreal on their tourist web site and thought to load that.

Which was all well and good, but for some reason I am finding it very difficult to use, unlike other maps which I have loaded.

Problem 1 is that it always opens in small, that is to say with the entire map on the small screen and one needs to zoom in each time to be able to read it. Which would not be too bad in itself, if it were not that the zoom process is quite slow, proceeding by small squares across the map. Where on earth is all the power of the telephone? Is there no Intel inside?

Problem 2 is that one moves about on the zoomed up map by stroking it. Which is all well and good, I can indeed do stroking, as might have been deduced from the name of the first volume of this blog, http://www.pumpkinstrokemarrow.blogspot.ca/. But all too often I stroke it in the wrong way and the telephone thinks I want to go back to the beginning, losing both my zoom and my position. Where do I go to get help with my stroking?

Problem 3 is ancilliary. When I came to do a snip to illustrate this post, the MS Snipping Tool, for the first time as it happens, failed. Get the thing to be snipped on the screen, call up the snipping tool and, lo and behold, the thing to be snipped is minimised and one is snipping whatever was underneath, which is no use at all. Have the Adobe people built something into their pdf reader to stop one doing just this? Have they done some deal with the pdf using industry and put some twiddle into pdfs which allows the suppliers of pdfs to block snipping? Am I letting my paranoia about the goings on in the industry get in the way of sorting out some straightforward finger trouble?

In any event, I have had to settle for screen scrape in MS Paint.

Reference 1: http://psmv2.blogspot.ca/2014/10/muddle.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment