Tuesday 28 July 2015

Paranoid of Epsom

I happened to look at a toy from Amazon the other day and very clever it looked too. Presumably including a large computer to convert your joystick commands into its rotor commands. I decided against, partly on the grounds that, despite the cost, the thing would probably sit in the garage, gathering dust unused after the first day or so.

Then yesterday I was looking at some miscellaneous web site, one of those which sells advertising space to keep itself afloat, including in this case to Amazon. And up pops the very same toy.

It might just be a coincidence, but it seems much more likely that the advertisement was dynamic, nipping back to base to see what I had been looking at recently, in the hope that regular reminders might result in a sale.

Apart from being irritating and a little worrying, I am not sure that they have got the psychology right. The reminders might irritate as well as remind, and I might be prompted into making a firm decision not to buy as a result, a firm decision which no amount of advertising is going to shift. Not all publicity is good publicity, despite the old adage. Or perhaps I am just being contrary. Perhaps it does work most of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment