Wednesday 15 July 2015

Jacob Isaacksz van Ruisdael

Continuing with the Kraszewski of yesterday's post, I came across a reference to a painting by Ruysdael called 'Jewish Cemetery', in fact rather more than a reference as a couple of pages (142 and 143) are given over to it. A painting which is he says is an epic poem to the transience of human affairs, even in death.

Until recently I would have had to be content with the story as told by Kraszewski, but now I am able to ask google and rapidly get told all about it. That this painting exists in two versions, one in Detroit and one in Dresden, and that this painter exists in four versions, with this one, Jacob Ruisdael, being the most famous.

Detroit are happy enough to show me their picture, but not to give it away and I failed to get Dresden (reference 1) to even show me theirs. So the illustration offered here is one of the images of the Detroit version offered by google. Which offerings vary a good deal, but I don't suppose I will ever get to Detroit to adjudicate between them, to find out whether some of the variations were down to cleaning.

How many of the original readers of the book would have had access to any kind of an image of the painting? Would the relatively nearby Dresden version have been the subject of mass produced engravings?

Reference 1: http://www.skd.museum/en/.

No comments:

Post a Comment