Sunday 31 August 2014

97 Mitcham Road

A new-to-me brand of kabanos from a new-to-me shop at 97 Mitcham Road; Sklep Maciek.

I was assured in somewhat broken English in the somewhat busy shop that the kabanos on display did not involve any chicken and that I could have brown or red, with the latter being more heavily smoked. I opted for brown and they turned out to be very good - and very good value at just about £5 for two packs, in total just about 500g, so slightly more than one might pay for run of the mill bacon from somewhere like Tesco's.

For once just packed with the wrapper shown, no shrink wrap in brine, so no need to dry them out before eating. Plenty of other meat and sausage for those interested in such matters - but I tend to stick to the kabanos I have been eating since the days of delicatessens run by refugee Czechs, a breed which now seems to have died out. Not too dry & stick like, but not too fresh either - not that I have seen any really fresh kabanos for ages.

PS: I gathered that there were some kabanos not on display which did involve chicken. Perhaps they were a bit ashamed of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment