Sunday 1 June 2014

Car booter

This morning off to my first car booter of the season this morning, of moderate size following a run of rather wet Sundays and bank holidays.

Moderate haul.

Item 1, what look like 2 mint condition mono LPs from 1954 of 'Under Milk Wood', with one alcohol friendly Welshman reciting the words of another. According to Wikipedia the words were commissioned as a radio drama for the BBC, from whence this recording. I had thought the thing was a narrative poem, so I have learned something today.

Item 2, the first 6 episodes of 'Fawlty Towers', a series of which my younger brother was very fond but which I have never got into. Maybe with our taste in television veering towards the light and cheerful, this will now appeal.

Item 3, an old jigsaw. At 50p it seemed a bit churlish to open the box up on the spot, but back home it turns out to contain 1 piece from the jigsaw which came in the box in the first place, 2 complete jigsaws of the same sort but not as good, half of a further uninteresting jigsaw, 1 piece of a fifth jigsaw and a die. Box and 2 complete jigsaws retained to add to the nucleus of my forthcoming collection of heritage jigsaws (see 20th May 2013). However, the price of retention was the retirement of our copy of 'Alice Through the Looking Glass', an old edition from Nelson, line illustrated and in good condition, but whose place on the bookshelf has now been taken by the jigsaw. A pity, but we have had the book for a long time, I have never read it and don't think I will now.

Item 4, two thimbles, sold to me as having been fashioned by an outdoor silversmith from Agadir silver but which turn out, on closer inspection, to be African flavoured souvenirs from the neighbouring Lanzerote. I think it was a charity stall so let's hope that it was a charity that I approve of.

Item 5, the one that got away, or a collection of the words of Morse, to go with our Morsoleum (see 20th February), a dozen or so pale green (rather than the more respectable black) volumes still in their shrink wrapped plastic parcel. I had closed the deal at £2.50, rather better than the £10 which Epsom Oxfam were asking a few weeks ago, when I made the mistake of asking for a bag to put it in, and while putting it in the bag the seller - a lady rather younger than I - spotted a sticker on it saying something about ebay and £89.99 and cancelled the sale. My purchase was marginal so I did not insist on my consumer rights - and my own rather limited perusal of ebay this afternoon suggests that the going price is around £12 so I wish her luck with her venture.


No comments:

Post a Comment