Thursday 31 October 2013

Charity campaigns

On 21st October I pondered about whether charities ought to be allowed to campaign.

Then this morning BH receives a letter from the lady, sometime permanent secretary at the Home Office, who is now the director general of the National Trust doing, what it seems to me, is just that, campaigning.

And without getting into the morals or propriety of the matter, I am irritated. I don't particularly want the National Trust to be getting into this sort of thing, although I suppose that, as the owner, or at least trustee, of a great deal of land, it might on occasion have to either give permission or to withhold permission for the shooting of badgers or the setting off of underground explosions, in which case it cannot sit on the fence. But I would prefer them to try a bit harder than this letter suggests they are at the moment - and to leave controversies to others, to the media.

Maybe its problem is that their rank and file care strongly about these things and are strongly against both. They go to the annual general meeting to make a fuss and it is hard for the Trust staffers to just ignore them. Or maybe it is a bit like the Labour Party having to let its rank and file have a beano, let off steam, on fox hunting. Takes their eyes off more important balls.

I stopped giving money to Greenpeace because I did not care for some of their causes and I cared even less for their aggressive (and maybe not entirely legal) style of campaigning. Let's hope that the National Trust do not push their luck as we enjoy what their core business offers.

No comments:

Post a Comment