Monday 2 November 2015

The full Freud

A complete Freud in the standard edition from the Hogarth Press is being offered for sale by Quaritch. £950 or very nearly £40 for each of the twenty four volumes - volumes which used to be sold new in Foyles not so very long ago, say less than 20 years ago.

I already own volume X, so that would have to be set against the purchase. But Hogarth are a very discrete lot and there is no price to be seen, despite my still having the dust jacket. My guess is that it cost me around £20 around twenty years ago.

I may well be right about Freud's way of getting at things - that is to say with words and without the aid of a lot of expensive electrical equipment and statisticians - coming back into vogue some time soon (see reference 1), but in the meantime it would be interesting to know how strong the market for such stuff is. For myself, twenty years ago I might have been tempted - but not now.

Ebay have lots of individual volumes, mostly not this edition, going for around £15 a go and you could probably make up a more or less full set if you don't mind mixing. Not the same as a proper collected, standard edition though.

They also offer a CD of the whole lot for $4.97. This I will investigate - a much more sensible price for what it unlikely to be more than dipping.

Reference 1: http://psmv2.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/the-freudians-fight-back.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment