Thursday 26 February 2015

Dreamtime

Somewhere on the fringes of the world of work, perhaps somewhere from my days (now nearly half a century ago) on construction sites. I had the sense of being due some money from some work a few days or a few weeks previously, but not being due in any very clear way.

Someone gives me a package, which I take to be the money due. Open it up to find a something, about the size of a small shoe, shrink wrapped in some kind of thin oil, the sort of oil I sometimes use on my bicycle chain. The something which appears to be some kind of complicated bolt, the sort of thing that you drill into concrete to provide a fixing or point of attachment for something or other, perhaps a ring bolt. In any event, the bolt is made of some  kind of pale yellow metal, perhaps some kind of bronze.

It then dawns on me that the package is not actually a shrink wrapped bolt, rather it is an invitation to buy into a bond which a bolting company is floating to finance an expansion, perhaps into one of the Gulf States where workers from the further east have such a bad time. I start to worry. Should I risk my money in a bolting business about which I know next to nothing? On the other hand, it might be a jolly good thing which it would be a pity to miss. Greed starts to kick in, at which point I wake up.

Once again, a sense of getting just a few features from the feature database, rather than the whole picture, as at reference 1.

Reference 1: http://www.psmv2.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/dreamtime.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment