Monday 3 November 2014

Shimano halloween

An entertaining end to all the bits and bobs from Shimano that one accumulates in one's shed, in this case a bike shop in Hull, Quebec. They might be French speakers inside but at least they are not clowning around with iron bars like the one's back in hexagonal France (according to the DT of Saturday just past).

The gent. half of the cool looking couple just pulling up at the shop on their bicycles was explaining to the lady half that this was the coolest bike shop in town.

There was also a very expensive looking Trek bike in the window, maybe a Superfly, very black and sporting what looked like motor cycle tyres, the sort of thing that might be used for scrambling, from Bontrager. However, perusal of their site this morning fails to turn up anything like what I thought I saw, so maybe I should have looked more carefully. But I have learned that Bontrager spell tyre with an 'i'.

Also that Bontrager tyres seemed to be a lot cheaper than the Continental tyres I have bought most recently - that is to say several years ago - from the cycle shop at Pound Lane, a cycle shop which does not do Bontrager. But google says I was unlikely to have paid more than around £50, not that much more than most of the Bontragers. Is memory defective once again, or did he see me coming? They are, in any event, very good tyres, with good grip and never yet punctured.

PS: unable to track down a receipt for the continentals with which to check for memory defects. Probably a cash payment and I don't keep bank records that far back, so no good looking there anyway. On the plus side, while attending to this, I suddenly decided that maybe I didn't need half a metre of Balzac on the shelf, unlooked at for a number of years now, having not got further than a picture book about Balzac in 2009 (see reference 2). So £1.49 buys the collected works from Amazon, just in case I take it into to my head to have another crack at it, and the half metre is on its way to the Oxfam skip at Sainsbury's. Will they just dump it in the waste paper or will they try to shift it?

Reference 1: http://www.cyclegmbertrand.com/.

Reference 2: first post at http://pumpkinstrokemarrow.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=hospice+charity+shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment