Thursday 15 May 2014

Epsom Common

Tried a Yellow Brick Road Anti-clockwise this morning, with the Wells extension.

Small stew pond very still and bathed in bright sunlight.

Lots of twittering but no tweets. A near miss in the form of a dingy gray bird with a speckled chest, about the size and shape of a very large thrush. It put me in mind of the cuckoo, which I have not heard for some years now, but I don't think this was one. Perhaps some kind of a juvenile.

Pleased to report no cows and just one place where the chainsaw volunteers had been at it, probably last autumn (maybe gmaps 51.323279, -0.292916). Maybe I will get myself to the Epsom Common Day in July and find a senior volunteer to make known my views to.

Home to the last bramleys from last year, stewed with a little lemon juice and sugar, with the few apples then remaining heavily spotted and now in the compost dustbin awaiting transfer to the bin proper.

No comments:

Post a Comment