Sunday 12 January 2014

Tweets

Horton clockwise today where I had the odd tweet.

First a chaffinch in the eastern hedge, maybe a relative of the one reported on 12th December 2012 in the same general area. I am sure that they were much more common when I was little, at least more common where I was then than where I am now.

Then a bevy of redwings moving through the western hedge, by the golf course, the course which is home to Jungle Island. They looked a lot redder here than they did in our garden (see, for example 29th December), the red seeming much more prominent when they are moving than when they are perching.

And last, the oak tree noticed on 18th December was full of starlings again.

That apart, plenty of magpies, a few crows and a few seagulls.

Having become a user in a modest way of the product OneNote which comes with my Lumia telephone, I did think about getting the thing out and logging the tweets on that. But I didn't. OneNote does seem to be quite a neat way of taking notes, rather better in some ways than the Filofax which I always used to carry at work, and which I have owned (in various incarnations) for fifty years or more. Certainly a lot less bulky. Certainly neater and better organised. But I have not yet got to the point where making notes on a telephone is anything like as comfortable as making notes on a piece of paper. Banging away with a couple of thumbs and missing a good proportion of the time does yet seem quite the thing, not much of the time anyway. Maybe the thumbs will get better over time but meanwhile, no longer having a case in which to carry the Filofax, my lunch box, my lunch knife (a quarter of an inch longer in the folding blade than was proper) and the odd important paper always to hand, I will have to trust to the fading memory to manage the tweets.

Maybe I will gradually start to use the thing on this PC, where it has been for some months now, pretty much unused. Maybe I will learn how to have just the one OneNote setup across the PC and the phone...

PS: the case used to be a small grey suitcase from Globetrotter, suitcases which were nothing like as good as they had been once, back in the days when they were a marque to reckon with. I read recently that Globetrotter are having another go, trying to crack into the luxury market again, with a shop in Bond Street or some such - so I might go and take a look for old times sake, but I doubt if I shall be tempted. See http://www.globetrotter1897.com/ to get the general idea.

PPS: just taken a proper look at the website. It seems that the nearest thing to my first Globetrotter case, for which I paid £10 or so, might cost £1,000 now, hand made to order. Not to mention the various specimens bought at Hook Road car booters for pence, usually in quite good nick too. Some of them with impressive travel stickers and labels.

No comments:

Post a Comment