Tuesday 4 June 2013

Puzzle

Continue to puzzle about the location and number of versions of the illustrated picture. Surely somebody out there out of all the billions and billions of them has bothered to tell the internet?

I have got a bit further this morning in that http://www.paintingmania.com/ says that it is indeed in the Fitzwilliam and that they will send me a hand painted original copy at more or less the original size for something under $200, although there is some doubt about preservation of aspect ratio, hardly an issue one would associate with a hand painted original copy etc.

Furthermore, $200 is not a great deal of money, particularly when one takes away the cost of paint, canvas, frame, packing and shipping. I am guessing, but my guess is that a competent artist could knock out a respectable copy in a small number of days which suggests that the hourly rate is less than that of a plumber here in Epsom. Perhaps the artist in question lives somewhere in China.

But the Fitzwilliam continues not to own up to the Manet, but then it does not own up to the new Poussin either, at least not to me, although it does admit to knowing about both painters. It also admits to 378 objects from one George Mackley, quite a number of which also hang on our own walls, so their print cataloguers are clearly up and running, even in the paint ones have got a little behind.

Continuing to poke around, I decide that what I need is a catalogue raisonnĂ©, which looks to be something one has to pay for. Google Books knows about such things but does not offer one. While Amazon offer me a second hand one for £2,990 plus £2.80 postage and packing. Is there some municifent foundation in the US which has gone public with one online? Do I need a visit to Foyles to take a peek at one of theirs? Does the fancy art book shop which used to be nearby still exist? I have a nasty feeling that it has been taken over, moved, downsized or worse.

But this is, I think the way forward. Bullingdon to Soho Square and take it from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment