Saturday 9 March 2013

Dalek attack!

I am a moderate and moderately incompetent user of Facebook. So I am not sure whether I ever created an account for BH, memory not that good, although good enough to know that if it does exist, it is not active.

But BH's email account is accessible even it is inactive, at least as far as she is concerned. But it is active because it takes a steady stream of what appear to be friend requests in Italian from Italians we have never heard of. We presume that the possibility of Facebook friends only arises if one has a Facebook account, so off to Facebook, which admits to a user with the right sort of name and so off into the forgotten password routine where I find that the BH in question has an email account with Yahoo. Not guilty to the charge. But then how has Facebook gotten hold of BH's real email address?

In parallel with all this, I recently received what appeared to be an email from a friend and notwithstanding various warning signs about the thing, I rather stupidly clicked on the link supplied - 'http://www.lexingtonlasik.com/bhezk...ueqcwqg2r' - and after rather more clickings and whirrings than one would have expected got taken to a page which offered me lots of dosh from some undemanding and unskilled home activity on the PC. At this point I started to smell a rat and went to the site at the beginning of the link which turned out to be some kind of superior and entirely respectable looking optician in Lexington, Kentucky (see http://www.lexingtonlasik.com/). Has his online operation been compromised? Feeling busy I thought I ought to contact them, using the contact form helpfully included on their site. Will they respond? The National Gallery never got back to me on my complaint about the lopping of the pictures on their jigsaws. See 14th February.

Next stop was my fully up to date because direct debited Norton which told me of three medium grade attacks on my PC about the time that I opened the email. So I am assuming that Norton has done its stuff and that all is well, although I may get around to asking the BT help line about it. At least I am reasonably sure that the two episodes are unconnected; the timing is all wrong.

All of which does not encourage BH to brush up on her computer literacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment