Friday 1 March 2013

Calling all shooters and bounty hunters

I read in yesterday's DT that our cash strapped government is to spend approximately £1,000 a head to kill approximately 5,000 badgers. Given that there is supposed to be a plague of the things in some parts of the country, I feel sure I can put together an enterprising team of poachers, gun nuts, lamplighters and such like prepared to do the job for a lot less than that.

I therefore propose to put together a cooperative with me in charge. I will pay members of the cooperative a flat fee (to be determined) for each badger's tail that they turn in. I will, in turn, recover the money from the government, including, as is only fair, a percentage to cover my time and expenses.

If I get a sufficiently encouraging response, I will take the next step and approach DEFRA. I don't see how, in the present climate, they can decently refuse such an offer. Unless, of course, it is all a misunderstanding and I and/or the DT have got it wrong.

PS: note that members of the cooperative will need to present online documentation of their address in or near one of the designated areas of cull, details of which are to be found at http://www.defra.gov.uk/.

No comments:

Post a Comment