Tuesday 17 September 2013

D784

On Monday lunchtime we went off to the Wigmore Hall to hear Christian Blackshaw do Schubert's piano sonata in A minor (D784) and Schumann's fantasy in C (Op. 17). I did not know this last but I did have a YouTube preview, a place which I am finding seems to offer free performances of a lot of the classical repertoire. I am not that keen on the headphones which this entails but it is an easy way to get acquainted with something when the home library fails. And there is often a button to click on to skip the advertisements.

The Schubert turned out to be an even more powerful piece live than it was on the home library CD, with the power kicking in from bar 1. A piece which made me wonder how much popular music misses by making no use of the interval, the pause or even the gap. It also left me rather drained and while I could hear the power of the Schumann, it did not get under the skin in the way of the Schubert; I failed to connect with it in the same way at all. I wonder, perhaps, whether I would have got on better with the Schumann first and the Schubert second. No idea how the pianist - almost the same age as me - managed to keep it up for an hour or what he had to do to wind down after. Maybe pianists go in for a very careful lifestyle and diet.

Something of a cloudburst as well left so we ducked into 2 Veneti (http://www.2veneti.com/) (see 1st May for our first visit), rather than, as we had intended, pushing onto Ponti's (http://www.pontisitaliankitchen.co.uk/). But Veneti's did us very well, with my lunch consisting of, inter alia, a fine pasta dish involving small pieces of smoked cheek of pork. And a fine pudding wine with biscuits, a Venetian version of the vino santo from the other side of the mountains. Generous with the mixed breads, although the rolls had probably been frozen at some point in their lives.

Just caught a train at Vauxhall, so neither excuse nor opportunity to play the aeroplanes game (see 1st September) at either Clapham Junction or Wimbledon, although waiting at Clapham Junction no fewer than three planes flew over. But sitting in the train this was a serial rather than a simultaneous experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment