Monday 22 July 2013

Scientologists

Interested to read the other day that the Registrar General - whose department, having shortly beforehand been rebranded OPCS, was my first civil service posting - is spending what must be a lot of good money to get our Supreme Court no less to forbid scientologists from getting married in their own churches. I wonder why he cares: is he a religious person who deprecates the continuing erosion of the sacrament of marriage, once limited to those marrying, in this country at least, to Church of England churches?

For myself, I might not care for scientologists, but if they want to be allowed to marry in their own churches, I would let them get on with it. They might be a bit odd, but I dare say that their marriages work as well, or as badly, as those of the rest of us.

I wonder if they have it in mind to include gay scientologists in any dispensation that there might be? On which subject, Wikipedia tells me that The Founder was very conservative in matters of sex, this despite his own, second begotten son being a gay.

No comments:

Post a Comment