Wednesday 28 August 2013

Wimmin

Very struck this morning by a passage in 'The Mill on the Floss' on the Kindle.

Not the for the first time, I felt the frustration that must have been felt by women of a certain bent who were kept to the house and its duties by the conventions of their time. I don't think that George Eliot is the only writer to write of this, although I cannot name any such male writer. See first paragraph of the illustration - and click to enlarge.

The illustration comes here from Gutenburg, via Chrome, Notepad and Paint. First thought was to try scanning the Kindle image direct, but then I worried about what the rays of the scanner might do to the rays of the Kindle. But then I thought let's give it a go anyway - to find that there was indeed something odd going on. I could scan the image OK, but the image never seemed to be that of the page I intended. The rays of the scanner (or something) seemed to be interacting with the turn page function on the Kindle and going to Gutenburg was quicker than working this out well enough to get the right page on the scanned image. And not altogether inappropriate as that is probably where the Kindle text came from in the first place - thus avoiding popping any more money into the Amazon coffers in the BVI (see 26th November last).

Reading this book, I been very struck altogether by the power of George Eliot as a writer, whom I have not read for a while (and prompted on this occasion by a tasteful BBC DVD from Amazon). She is a bit into long sentences with complex construction but she knows her stuff. She also knows, or guesses, an awful lot more about life than might be expected from her relatively sheltered life as a jobbing lady writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment