Monday 21 January 2013

Jigsaw 7, Series 2

Photograph taken in winter light with a lot of reflection off the snow. Even worse than usual.

But good enough to exhibit another chocolate box scene from Waddingtons on one of their De Luxe 500 puzzles (99p). Sadly the box tells me nothing about where these cottages are, beyond the fact that they are in England, so we will not be able to visit. I wonder if the image searching capability being worked up by the search fraternity would be able to find this image with in the same ease that I was able to find the image of Worcester Cathedral (see October 19th in the other place)? I recall that the interest at the time I was in contact with such people was being able to do things like scan the faces in the crowds at terminal 5 at Heathrow for known bad people, but all I can manage now is various people offering to search for pictures given verbal rather than image clues. I don't seem to be able to say give me all the pictures like this one, let alone all the pictures containing a picture like this one. Or all the faces with a nose like this one.

Considerations of this sort aside, went at the edge in the usual way, but found the pieces to have an uncertain key and I was not very happy with the sky edge I came up with. But pushed on and did the sky line where one has enough image to give one confidence, even if the fit of the pieces is a bit uncertain. Then worked up from the skyline to do the sky, when I found that I had indeed got the sky edge fairly wrong. Needed to unpick a fair bit of it and then work up from the more secure foundation of the sky line before putting the sky edge back together again.

Sky apart and trees apart, I solved the puzzle by working down. Roofs first, left, then right then middle. Then the windows, then worked out and down from the windows to complete the buildings. Then the path, then the garden between the river - barely visible at the bottom right - and the path. Left a few holes in the garden, knocked off the river (which included sorting out a few minor errors in the river edge) and then dealt with the remaining holes.

Somewhere along the way I must have knocked off the trees. Perhaps one of those things where the brain can process odd bits of the puzzle in background, enabling one to gradually finish, in this case the trees, while foreground or conscious processing focuses on some other part of the jigsaw.

An easy going jigsaw. The sky had no image features to help but was narrow, not very big and there was enough piece shape variation to be able to pick out the right piece fairly quickly without too much recourse to trial and error. And the rest of the puzzle had plenty of image features. OK, so I had to leave the odd hole during the sweep down the puzzle, but the aforementioned background processing got them all before the end.

Having finished the jigsaw took a clockwise walk around the so-called all-weather path around Epsom Common, taking the variation which goes around the south of the Wells Estate. Shoe contraptions did very well on the softening ice and snow. Snow on trees and bushes very pretty in the winter morning sun. But on the way, passed a parked up removal lorry from Bishop's Move, an outfit which I had thought was based in Bishop's Bridge Road in Paddington, an area which I used to frequent during the construction of Westway, some of the concrete for which I was privileged to test. But checking, I find that Bishop's Move is actually based in nearby Chessington and as far as I can tell there is no connection to Paddington at all. I also learn along the way that Bishop's Bridge Road is named for Edward VI's Bishop of London, which is a bit puzzling as the bridge is over railway and canal which were not built until some time after the reign of good king Edward. Perhaps Wikipedia has simplified a bit. In any event, all very disappointing; I had rather liked the Paddington version. Perhaps because it was a link with an entertaining & instructive episode of my youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment